Syndicates are a new, shared resource model for patient-centred R&D. They are disease-focussed consortia, anchored by the leading medical research charity in partnership with the Catapult. Syndicates will put the patient at the heart of drug discovery and the charities will have a central role to ensure the portfolio aligns with patients’ needs and priorities.
Each Syndicate will bring together patients and clinical experts with innovators from industry (for example SMEs, pharma) and academia to support portfolios of projects and share rewards. They therefore offer a new vehicle to attract long-term funding for the sector.
- Drive a disease-focussed, patient-centric research agenda
- Accelerate the translation of research to the clinic
- De-risk new promising assets and drive commercialisation
- Create new and more efficient funding and investing models
Anchored by the leading medical research charity in partnership with the Medicines Discovery Catapult, each Syndicate will bring together patients and clinical experts with innovators from industry (e.g. SMEs, pharma) and academia in the disease area of focus.
The Medicines Discovery Catapult is actively working on the development of the Syndicate framework, while engaging with several medical research charities. An announcement on the first Syndicate consortia will be made available in due course.
Establishing a sustainable model
Underpinned by new frameworks to attract funding and investment, we are committed to enable long term focus and sustainability by:
- Providing the enabling resources for the establishment of Syndicates
- Contributing expertise for their on-going management and coordination