Main duties and responsibilities
The job holder will manage projects across the business to ensure the desired result is achieved and the key stakeholders are satisfied.
Main duties include:
- Leading high performing, collaborative teams including both internal and external team members to deliver and adapt to situations to ensure correct project delivery
- Working closely with lead scientists and business development team to clarify the scope of the project including an understanding of how the project will be funded.
- Co-ordinating inputs into the project including legal /grant applications: ensuring that these are delivered to specification, time and budget considerations
- Implementing a project management software solution to support MDC processes
- Developing, agreeing and monitoring project plans
- Working closely with all relevant internal and external stakeholders to ensure successful delivery of project outputs to schedule and within budget.
- Liaising with the Project Finance Manager to establish anticipated project spend & resources; track variances versus budget and ensure any significant variances are communicated effectively, with remedial plans put in place where possible.
- Inputting, updating & maintaining project documentation and trackers to ensure reports are accurate and up to date.
- Providing good communication on all project matters, highlighting risk and issues to Head of Project Delivery and other key stakeholders.
- Identifying opportunities which support continuous improvement of project process, documentation and reporting based on hands-on experience.
- Developing an understanding of transaction types (including contractual relationships and handling of intellectual property) undertaken by MDC.
- Ensuring delivery of projects through detailed project planning, problem solving and collaborative coordinated teamwork to deliver on milestones to time, quality and budget
Qualifications and Experience
- Experience in Project Management
- Degree qualified
- Experience of managing third party Suppliers/Vendors or Grant funded endeavour
- Experience in managing allocated budgets for the team
- Project Management Qualification
- Experience in managing complex projects in an innovation environment with both technical and commercial content or managing Data Science projects and project management software implementation
- Experience of working with public and private sector organisations
Key Profile Attributes
- Prepared to take Personal Accountability for tasks and activities involved with
- Has a Collaborative style – able to lead teams and work within teams
- Displays high energy and enthusiasm to exceed expectations. Help push the sector to be a commercial success
- Has Commercial Acumen and an understanding of business issues
- Lead by Example– diligent in promoting the importance of value added compliance to project team members Demonstrates empathy and positive influencing skills.
- Strong communication skills
- Professional Development. Keeps up to date with professional knowledge, expertise and best practice
- An ability to manage multiple and varied tasks and to prioritise the workload whilst maintaining attention to detail.
- Excellent organisational skills
- Accurate with a strong focus on attention to detail
- Proven ability to engage constructively with colleagues at all levels across different departments to deliver objectives
- Proven ability to consistently deliver projects to time, cost and quality standards
- Excellent interpersonal skills, verbal and written communication skills aligned with the ability to build and maintain strong relationships with peers, senior managers and project team members
- Experience of working in a small organisation with a pragmatic attitude
- A good team player