The role of Senior / Lead Scientist – Advanced Microscopy would suit a highly motivated self-starter who is passionate about the application of advanced microscopy to medicines discovery. The successful candidate will bring a depth of expertise in microscopy and will provide scientific leadership in this discipline to deliver collaborative projects and build new capabilities. Through the application of multiphoton microscopy and other advanced methods, the candidate will characterise complex cell models and prosecute cellular target engagement and target validation studies.
The individual will work closely with colleagues in interdisciplinary project teams and the role will involve extensive collaboration with external partners, including technology providers, academic institutes and drug discovery companies. The opportunity to join a world class laboratory team in this high profile national organisation, and contribute your ideas, insights and creative science to collaborative projects across the UK, should provide a fantastic platform for career development.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Apply microscopy expertise to support the delivery of collaborative projects focussed on disease-relevant cell model development, cellular target engagement and target validation.
- Establish a confocal and multiphoton microscopy capability and validate key applications, including the characterisation of organoid cell models and prosecution of live cell imaging studies.
- Work in partnership with Medicines Discovery Catapult scientists in the fields of complex cell models, target engagement and target validation to deliver end-to-end workflows that can be applied to collaborative projects.
- Develop novel strategies to measure cellular target engagement, including protein and compound localisation studies, FRET and FRAP.
- Provide training to Medicines Discovery Catapult colleagues.
- Liaise with microscopy manufacturers and users, and with national institutes to ensure that Medicines Discovery Catapult is at the forefront of advanced microscopy.
- Identify new technology partnerships and tools in the field of advanced microscopy to enhance the Medicines Discovery Catapult’s portfolio of innovative solutions.
- Deliver high quality data in a complex and time pressured research team environment.
- Manage complex collaborative projects with external partners to completion.
- Implement effective lab processes, experimental records, and safety.
- Contribute to the establishment of an integrated Medicines Discovery Catapult imaging strategy, encompassing pre-clinical imaging, mass-spec imaging and microscopy.
- Contribute scientific insight and innovative technical approaches for more successful drug discovery programmes.
- Demonstrate effective communication and research collaboration skills, working with a wide range of colleagues in academic and commercial organisations.
Qualifications and Experience
- The successful candidates will possess a PhD (or have similar experience) along with substantial relevant experience in the application of microscopy to life science research.
- Proven, practical expertise in advanced microscopy for biological applications, demonstrated by a strong track record of delivery and a strong publication record.
- Experienced in the application of microscopy to the study of cell monolayers, 3D cellular models, and ex-vivo tissue sections, in both fixed and live-cell formats.
- In depth knowledge and practical experience of confocal microscopy; experience with multiphoton microscopy, FRET, FRAP or FCS would be an advantage
- Ability to develop image and data analysis pipelines, through application of commercial and open source software, and through writing new scripts.
- Examples of technology development/implementation to build new capability in microscopy.
- Experience of working in collaborative project teams, with both internal and external colleagues; experience of working in a medicine discovery setting, with academic groups and with SMEs would be an advantage.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in a highly collaborative and inter-disciplinary environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with both experts and non-experts in the field.