Non-invasive assessment of biochemical and biological processes.
We have unrivalled imaging capabilities available to help you accelerate drug development and achieve maximum therapeutic benefit.
The ability to perform non-invasive imaging to assess and study novel therapeutics requires significant investment in infrastructure and highly experienced staff. At MDC, we have both.
Monitoring, assessing, and characterising novel therapeutics in pre-clinical models plays an essential part in drug development. All drugs have an optimum concentration range in which maximum benefit is achieved. Pre-clinical imaging can help scientists optimise the selective delivery of a therapeutic concentration of a drug to its target tissue.
Such studies require significant investment in infrastructure, highly experienced staff, and access to relevant disease models.
We have unrivalled pre-clinical imaging capabilities to accelerate your drug development:
- In vivo imaging
- Mass Spectrometry Imaging and Molecular Pathology for ex vivo analysis of tissues
- Spatial Transcriptomic capability
- Data integration from multiple pre-clinical imaging modalities to add value
Did You Know?
Clinical trials are expensive, with high attrition rates usually attributed to lack of efficacy, the wrong safety profile, incorrect strategy or poor pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics (PK/PD) – an alternative dose-effect analysis used to measure drug concentration in a body compartment.
The rate of drug attrition can be reduced by better understanding the clinical questions and building testable and scientific evidence to transition between pre-clinical and clinical settings.
Our imaging platforms can visualise the biodistribution of molecules in cells, tissues and, track novel drug delivery and complex medicine modalities, and provide clear evidence of biomarker responses to novel drug candidates. We can access specialist in vivo models and PET radiotracers to meet specific programme needs. We are here to help you advance your programmes with high-quality data.
What We Offer
Multi-parametric imaging modalities:
- Positron Emission Tomography (PET)
- Gamma counting biodistribution analysis
- Computed Tomography (CT)
- High-Frequency Ultrasound (HFUS)
- Bioluminescence/NIR imaging (IVIS)
- Mass Spectrometry Imaging (DESI, MALDI)
- Complex Microscopy (supra-resolution/confocal)
We can also provide access to:
- Novel radiochemistry and commercial radiotracers
- Animal models across disease areas
- Pre-commercial technologies
- Multi-modal enhanced interpretation of functional and molecular data
We use imaging technologies to visualise biological functions with the aim of accelerating disease understanding and drug development. Our imaging technologies can quantify:
- Organ accumulation – pharmacokinetics (PK), biodistribution
- Target expression or engagement – stratification
- Biological activity – pharmacodynamics (PD), optimal biological dose
- Toxicities or drug-drug interactions – safety, drug combination studies
- Surrogacy for clinical endpoint – efficacy
Our multi-disciplinary pre-clinical imaging team are experts in their field, from radiochemistry expertise to industrial translational imaging acquisition alongside, complex in vivo modelling expertise.
Our team have experience from both the academic and pharmaceutical sector and are working to help optimise the use of imaging technologies and validate therapeutic targets and platforms for use in the clinical setting.
Dr Juliana MaynardHead of Translational Imaging
Challenges We Can Help With
Our expertise in pre-clinical imaging can help with:
Supporting your Drug Discovery Journey with:
Drug biodistribution and organ accumulation:
- PET distribution of radiotracers
- Near Infra-Red and (Deep whole-body penetration and biodistribution), Bioluminescence imaging (lentiviral transduction of luciferase-expressing cell lines to image within animal models)
- Micro-CT bioimaging
Through Collaborative R&D, we can:
- Make state-of-the-art imaging technologies and expertise available for you to develop new drugs
- Develop and validate new imaging methods, biomarkers and platforms in vivo and ex vivo
- Accelerate the development of new drug modalities, e.g., antisense oligonucleotides, modified RNA and nanoparticles
- Provide a unique platform of pre-clinical imaging data alongside mass spectrometry imaging, biomarker insights, pathology and molecular analyses to deliver deeply informative data sets for better project decision making
Thanks to our pre-clinical tissue imaging capabilities, you will be able to:
- Get expert advice on protocol design, image acquisition, image analyses and interpretation, reporting, and manuscript preparations
- Use pre-clinical imaging technologies to understand the in vivo effects of your drug, e.g., biodistribution and PK/PD
- De-risk candidate drugs by understanding in vivo safety and efficacy endpoints and providing translational biomarkers
- Compare imaging data with that from other technologies using the same samples
- Develop new technologies that will advance our understanding of disease and drug response
Reshaping Medicines Discovery...
It's ambitious, it's achievable
The UK has internationally-leading biomedical research that can be enhanced by easier access to PET instrumentation and the associated expertise.
UK PET Network Planning Group
It’s been absolutely amazing working with MDC and the team.
Helen Philippou, Founder Director